Re: [News] Foxconn Reported to FTC for Sabotage Against Linux

____/ Homer on Saturday 26 July 2008 04:01 : \____

>> Foxconn deliberately sabotaging their BIOS to destroy Linux ACPI
>
> Check out Foxconn's response:
>
> [quote]
> You are incorrect in that the motherboard is not ACPI complaint. If it
> were not, then it would not have received Microsoft Certification for WHQL.
> [/quote]

> ROTFLMFAO!!!
>
> OK, so maybe there's no conspiracy here, and it's just Foxconn's sheer
> incompetence, but to claim that their board /must/ be OK just because
> "Microsoft says so" is arrogant in the extreme, not to mention /stupid/
> given the demonstrable errors in the BIOS.
>
> As for this garbage about "Linux is not certified" for this board ...
> all they have to do is ensure ACPI compliance, and it /will be/
> "certified" in the sense that it works. We don't need Foxconn's rubber
> stamp on /that/, we just need them to stop being idiots.
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | From: Bill Gates
> [...]
>> | Maybe we could define the APIs so that they work well with NT and
>> | not the others even if they are open.
>> |
>> | Or maybe we could patent something related to this.
>> `----
>>
>> http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/px03020.pdf
>> http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03020.pdf
>
> Yeah, of course that was back in the bad ol' days before Asus started
> shipping Linux embedded into millions of motherboards, and installed
> onto millions of Netbooks.

Spotted earlier:

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/EXCLUSIVE_ASUS_Speaks_on_the_EEE_PC/551-91486-581.html

"Benson Lin: Currently, we're closely tied up with Microsoft and the EEE PC
with Windows XP..."

Seems like someone decided to rub someone's back because Linux became a top
seller in shops like Amazon.

Not to worry. Ballmer and the grease gun run out of ammo. It'll get harder to
bribe (in the soft bribe sense).

"Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars"

http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
 07:00:01 up 4 days, 17:06,  1 user,  load average: 0.44, 0.77, 0.73