Re: [News] Foxconn Reported to FTC for Sabotage Against Linux

> How does the motherboard know you are using Linux?  Is it a setting
> somewhere in the non-volatile BIOS settings?  If so, what happens if you
> simply change the setting to say you are running Windows?

That would be hard to say.  If you read the article, it notes that
different tables are loaded depending on the OS, and that the Linux
table is faulty.  The article describes how to read the ACPI tables from
the /sys/firmware/... directory, edit the code, save the file, make it
part of the initrd system so that the kernel will use it.

On my DELL, the only reference to an OS is:

    Name (W98S, "Microsoft Windows")
    Name (NT5S, "Microsoft Windows NT")
    Name (WINM, "Microsoft WindowsME: Millennium Edition")
    Name (WXP, "Windows 2001")
    Name (WLG, "Windows 2006")

and then it sets up a bit-masked, with a different bit set depending on
which version of Windows, and bit 0 if "none of the above".  Then a lot
of decisions are made based on that bit value such as calling Notify()
and Sleep() functions with varying values.

The guy in this article <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249>
gets this "admission" from FoxConn:

   This board was never certified for Linux. It is only certified for
   Vista. See URL below. So please test under Vista. Does this issue
   also occured under Vista or Winxp?

He gets pretty irate, too.

   I saw you targeting Linux with an intentionally broken ACPI table,
   you also have one for NT and ME, a separate one for newer NT variants
   like 2000, XP, Vista, and 2003/2008 Server, I'm sure that if you
   actually wrote to Intel ACPI specs instead of whatever quirks you can
   get away with for 8 versions of Windows and then go to the trouble of
   giving a botched table to Linux (How much *is* Microsoft paying you?)
   it would end up working a lot better, but I have this idea you don't
   want it to.

Collusion, laziness, not caring about the non-Windows market, or just
plain stupidity?

One wonders, when Foxconn says "we only support Vista", yet the ACPI
code contains explicit references to Linux that cause bad data to be
loaded that makes Linux screw up in power-management situations.

--
I have never been one to sacrifice my appetite on the altar of appearance.
		-- A. M. Readyhough