[News] Sun is Still Pseudo Free Software

When Is Open Source Not That Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Ts'o, the difference between organic and non-organic is related
| to how much influence a single corporation has in the development of an open
| source product. The broader the developer community around a project and the
| lower the barrier to contributing, the more organic it is. Citing Linux,
| Apache, Mozilla, and Eclipse among those in the organic open source camp,
| Ts'o singled out OpenSolaris as a prime example of non-organic open source.
| In fact, he objected to "Sun claiming that Solaris is just like Linux because
| it's open source"--a characterization that seemed to inspire his interest in
| asserting these definitions.
`----

http://blog.devx.com/2008/07/when-is-open-source-not-that-o.html

MySQL: Back to Its Roots via Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| When Sun Microsystems (NASDAQ: JAVA) acquired open source database vendor
| MySQL for $1 billion, MySQL's community held its breath over how the new
| ownership might impact their community.
|
| During an on-stage discussion at OSCON, the Open Source Convention by
| technology publisher O'Reilly, Monty Widenius, founder of MySQL AB, and Brian
| Aker, the director of technology for MySQL, set the record straight.
|
| "My first reaction when we got acquired was -- thank god we didn't go
| public," Widenius said. Prior to the acquisition, MySQL had been on a path
| toward an initial public offering that Widenius thought would have bad for
| MySQL in the long run, as the company might have corrupted its ideals in
| order to show profits to shareholders.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3760831/MySQL+Back+to+Its+Roots+Via+Sun.htm

MySQL's roots are actually proprietary, just like the Linux kernel in its very
early days.

Recent:

OpenSolaris Arrives just to Die

,----[ Quote ]