Re: [News] Linux Visual Effects Surpass Competition

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ben
<beno1990@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:50:43 +0100
<g65a63$8r2$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> Can you explain how Compiz improves your productivity?

I could see a case for the Compiz cube making one's
windows more visible on the nonactive sides of the cube,
as opposed to the standard Gnome solution (which shows a
little rectangle in a segmented area in one's panel; it
doesn't say much as to how the window will actually look)
or what Vista apparently does, which is to draw a small
version of the visible window.  I don't know what KDE does
offhand.

I can't say it looks like a strong case, though it also
depends on what one is used to.  If I'm perceived to
dislike Compiz or frown on Apple's colored & candied
jewel-like bits, I absolutely hate "click to focus";
fortunately Linux can disable that option.  I have no idea
whether Windows can or not offhand, without a third-party
solution (which are plentiful enough).

And Windows XP by default does not have multiple
workspaces, though again third-party solutions exist -- and
Vista did get around to implementing them, with different
backgrounds yet, if I'm not mistaken.  However, I've had
multiple workspaces for awhile anyway, even if they all
have the same background (which currently isn't visible
except for a thin sliver anyway, so what's the point?).

I also consider the "shuffle"/"flipthrough" little more
than a bit of a gimmick, though it does appear to be
somewhat helpful in finding one's open windows.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
a lot of hot air and vapor.