[News] Adobe Picks LGPLv3 for BlazeDS

BlazeDS Overview

,----[ Quote ]
| Previously available only as part of Adobe LiveCycle® Data Services ES, Adobe
| is contributing the proven BlazeDS Overviewtechnologies to the community
| under the LGPL v3.
`----

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/blazeds/Overview

When a company like Adobe says no to Tivoization and yes to GPL, that's
something. Who's next? Apple?

The recent news about Adobe and ODF is encouraging too.

Recent:

Adobe Joins Linux Foundation But Forgets About Flash for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I would hope that Zemlin will encourage Adobe to now treat Linux as a first
| class citizen as opposed to an afterthought for release after Windows.
|
| I hope Zemlin will pressure Adobe to finally actually make Flash -- not just
| the player -- but Flash CS3 Professional, (the core Flash development tool)
| available for Linux as a fully commercially available and supported product.
| It is somewhat ironic in my opinion that Adobe can join the Linux Foundation,
| claim to support Linux and yet not offer its flagship Flash development tool
| on Linux.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/adobe-joins-linux-foundation-b.html

Hey You, Standarize My Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather it will arrive because it’ll be the means of differentiation for late
| market entrants; those that want to play in the cloud with the likes of
| Amazon and Google, though at a fraction of the scale.
|
| [...]
|
| Perhaps the biggest question facing the potential standards players will be
| the balance between standardization and the speed of innovation. When we
| spoke with Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch about the opening of its SWF format, one of
| the questions we put to him was the potential for SWF to make the transition
| from open specification to formal standard. While not dismissing the
| possibility out of hand, his concern was that it might negatively impact
| Adobe’s ability to innovate within the specification. Standards need not be
| inimical to innovation, but neither are they designed to foster it.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2008/07/02/cloud_standards_again/

Opera Web Standards Curriculum

,----[ Quote ]