[News] Freedom Understood Only Once Lost

When do you actually define freedom???

,----[ Quote ]
| In certain situations I feel I don't have freedom.Especially while listening
| to boring classes for the sake of attendance,using windows operating system
| in our college,hiding truth in certain situations and so on.Even you might
| had experienced some of these situations.When a parent forces the child to
| study while he is playing , the child really thinks that he is not given
| freedom to play.You shout,scream in a party.You cheer for your friend when he
| is performing in a cultural event.Birds live in freedom , they can fly to any
| extent they want to, unless someone stops them from doing so .Freedom is
| experienced in many forms in many situations, If you ask me to define the
| word freedom ,I cant .Becoz I think, we can only define freedom when we don't
| have it.
`----

http://ithinkless.blogspot.com/

South Africa seems to understand very well what the multi-nationals are up to
and what software patents (intellectual monopolies) are all about. The same
goes for OOXML. It's because they learned how freedom is lost.

India and South America are other good examples of regions that escape digital
colonialism.

Recent:

CSIR to switch 2300 users to Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Parastal CSIR, South Africa’s national science and technology research
| organisation, is readying to switch most of its more than 2300 staff to using
| Ubuntu Linux as their default desktop
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2448

Red Hat to open SA office

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux vendor Red Hat is to open an office in South Africa. Starting Monday
| Red Hat will have an SA-based country manager who will be responsible for the
| Southern Africa market on behalf of the company.
`----

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?from=rss_IOLTechOpenSource&iSectionId=2883&iArticleId=4419217

South Africans don’t understand OSS - Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite having an open source strategy the South African government doesn’t
| really understand how to benefit from OSS. This is according to Microsoft
| director of corporate standards, Jason Matusow. Matusow, who was in South
| Africa on an “external outreach” trip around the time SA adopted ODF as a
| national standard, writes on his blog that not only does government not
| understand how to benefit from open source software, but South Africans were
| unlikely to ever do any “deep” development work on Linux.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2432

South Africa appeals against OOXML, call your Standards Body now!

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African Standards Body SABS have lodged an appeal at ISO against
| the awful fast-track process of DIS29500, or Microsoft Office OpenXML. Please
| call your national Standards Body and ask them to support this complain. You
| have only 7 days because the deadline is 30 May, 2 months after the ISO vote.
|
| Steve Pepper, being so disgused about the intervention of a Norwegian
| bureaucrat reverting the decision of the Norwegian Technical Committee, is
| pointing at the fact that this person is also member of the ISO Technical
| Management Board (TMB), who will decide on the future of this appeal. I hope
| we will have some transparency on who is deciding what inside ISO on this
| appeal. It is time for ISO to clean up its stables, they have not been
| cleaned for several years, and they are getting dirty and smelly.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61468/south-africa-appeals-against-ooxml-call-your-standards-body-now

$1 buys a lot of StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| As government begins its move to the Open Document Format (ODF) standard, Sun
| Microsystems CEO Jonathan Schwartz has offered President Thabo Mbeki as many
| copies of StarOffice his office requires for a total cost of just $1.00.
|
| [...]
|
| Beveridge explains that the biggest implemetation project currently underway
| within the South African government is the move to ODF.
`----

http://it-online.co.za/content/view/272690/142/

Government, NGOs 'turning to Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's extremely easy - basically anyone can install Linux now."
|
| Organisations such as the Shuttleworth Foundation, which help provide
| computers to underprivileged schools, use Linux instead of Windows to cut
| costs.
`----

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?from=rss_IOLTechHome&iSectionId=2883&iArticleId=4366559

South Africa adopts ODF as a national standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) on Friday approved the Open
| Document Format (ODF) as an official national South African standard. The
| adoption of ODF by South Africa opens the way for the businesses and
| government to adopt ODF more widely in their processes.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2365

Related:

FNB switches 12 000 desktops to Linux