Re: [News] The RAND Scam Against Free Software, for Monopolies

Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> Nearly every free software license meets the conditions of RAND,
>>> and is therefore a RAND license.  Whether a given RAND license is
>>> compatible with free software or not depends on the particular
>>> license the owner of that thing chooses to use.
>>
>> Exactly.
>
> RAND is an indefinite term that may infringe other conditions depending
> on the definite terms stipulated, as clearly demonstrated by the recent
> exposure of Moonlight on Groklaw. Of course Smith /knew/ this before he
> started his little FUD injection, by presenting RAND as some innocuous;
> generic term that doesn't differ between one licensor and the next, and
> then comparing MS's monopolistic conditions to the GPL for vindication.
>
> IOW, he's trying to manipulate us into believing that because Destroying
> Angels and Golden Chanterelles are both mushrooms, then the former can't
> be deadly poisonous.

I've never claimed that RAND was a licence, this is another Timmy
injection of falsehood, and again, precisely why I have him kfiled.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |