Re: [News] The RAND Scam Against Free Software, for Monopolies

> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> Nearly every free software license meets the conditions of RAND,
>> and is therefore a RAND license.  Whether a given RAND license is
>> compatible with free software or not depends on the particular
>> license the owner of that thing chooses to use.
>
> Exactly.

RAND is an indefinite term that may infringe other conditions depending
on the definite terms stipulated, as clearly demonstrated by the recent
exposure of Moonlight on Groklaw. Of course Smith /knew/ this before he
started his little FUD injection, by presenting RAND as some innocuous;
generic term that doesn't differ between one licensor and the next, and
then comparing MS's monopolistic conditions to the GPL for vindication.

IOW, he's trying to manipulate us into believing that because Destroying
Angels and Golden Chanterelles are both mushrooms, then the former can't
be deadly poisonous.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 23:29:20 up 169 days, 20:05,  6 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.06