[News] GNU/Linux Not a Matter of Access to Code (Open Source) or Cost

The art of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So, where lies the difference? What is that one-great-thing which is tempting
| the users and developers to talk about Linux? Is it just the low acquisition
| cost and access to the source code?
|
| NO!
|
| There are a lot more reasons which form the basis for the increasingly high
| user-base of Linux operating system. We definitely need to know the
| reason ‘Why’ before we move on to explore every nibble of a technology.
`----

http://www.brajeshwar.com/2008/the-art-of-linux/

Common Microsoft FUD: Linux is just cheap; if you can't program, openness of
code won't be of use to you (Oracle uses this FUD pattern against MySQL).

Related:

What Microsoft Groks Not

,----[ Quote ]
| But what you seem not to understand, Bill, is that opening up helps *you*
| make Windows better, which is hardly "irrelevant for what people want."
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/03/what-microsoft-groks-not.html

What I Learned using Linux over the last 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| I started using Linux as my primary desktop and operating system in 1998.
| After brief flirtations with FVWM 95 and Enlightenment, I settle on Gnome
| (with it’s various WMs over the years ) and Redhat/Fedora (until switching to
| Ubuntu last fall ).
|
|    1. My computer is mine. I didn’t license or borrow it from an OS vendor. I
|    don’t want to ask permission to install or uninstall software on it,
|    including the operating system. If I upgrade or swap out parts, I don’t
|    have to justify it to anyone ( except maybe the Mrs. if it’s a bit
|    pricey ).

http://www.91courtstreet.net/wordpress/2008/01/25/what-i-learned-using-linux-over-the-last-10-years/

The Essence of Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| I think that educating people into what choice is, is an important first step
| into freeing them to exercise that choice.  If a person doesn't know they're
| free, how can they exercise their freedom?  It's up to use to gather all our
| facts and educate the huddled masses of the world, starting with friends and
| family, our fellow co-workers, and then out to our community at large.
| Education will bring truth, and the truth will free them to choose, and that
| choice will ultimately bring them a digital freedom they have long desired,
| but did not even know existed.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=370

Apple failing to understand open source