Re: Dual file access compared to Windows

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 05 June 2008 23:58 : \____

>> ____/ Linonut on Friday 16 May 2008 00:43 : \____
>>
>>> * rbchinchen@xxxxxxxxx peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> It's a UNIX feature, copy-on-write.  If one app has a file open, and
>>> another app modifies the file in anyway, the modified version becomes a
>>> copy of the original with the new modifications.
>>>
>>> When the old file is closed by the first app, it then goes away.
>>
>> I sometimes delete video/music files while watching/listening to them to
>> save up disk space. They carry on playing.
>>

> Well, presumably you don't actually save the space until the file is
> really deleted, ie., once it's been closed?

In Windows the file is just locked. I don't know if this has changed over the
years.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
 07:00:01 up 52 days,  5:12,  5 users,  load average: 0.45, 1.13, 1.14