Re: [News] London's Oyster Card Relies on GNU/Linux

> Linux opens London's Oyster
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Open-source software helped London's Oyster card system move past a
>| proprietary roadblock, an open-source conference in London was told last
>| week.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| Deloitte built a web front-end that interfaces to the EDS back-end using web
>| services. The new online system is based on open standards and open-source
>| software, including the Apache web server, JBoss middleware and the Linux
>| operating system, said Robinson.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39419829,00.htm
>
> Elsewhere in the UK, there's the usual shenanigans.

I rather like my Oyster card.  It's certainly made buses a viable
possibility, unless you happen to know just what change you need, which
I never do.

The new bus-maps, based on the revolutionary tube-map (ie., only 90 and
45 degree angles on it) is far more usable than the old ones used to be,
too as invented by Harry Beck -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Becks-Underground-Map-Garland/dp/1854141686

> Microsoft megadeal gets second chance
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| MICROSOFT has been granted a second six-month extension on the megadeal it
>| struck in 2004 with the UK government, and which ran out in January.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/22/microsoft-megadeal-gets-second
>
> The shills from Newham seem to be at it again. It's like Microsoft manages UK
> IT decisions (links below).
>
> Newham U-turns on Vista
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/22/newham-u-turns-vista

The residents of Newham are suffering much as those of many local
councils are, with so much of their council tax money being sent to the
US.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |