Re: [News] BECTA Opens Up for Free Software Supplier Bids, Microsoft Loses

> ____/ bbgruff on Friday 23 May 2008 17:11 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Schools set to go open source
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2217224/schools-set-open-source-4017531
>>
>> Yes, I *know* I'm repeating myself - and I intend to keep doing so - but
>> are people finally waking up?:-)
>
> Oh, they woke up a while ago, especially when Vista dreams turns to tatters. It
> was a turning point... tipping point and power shift. Microsoft now
> plays /defence/ to keep customers. Rules have changed.

I'm in agreement here, the world really has woken up.  We have MPs
demanding open-source solutions, governments demanding same, pressure on
Becta has forced them to take an open view of things.

I'm waiting to see what the fallout will be with respect to the British
Library and its ill-conceived plan to lock the library's online presence
permanently to Microsoft DRM and proprietary formats, although I really
do hope that the major culprit is encouraged to seek work elsewhere, as
happened at the BBC.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |