Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Wants Imitate Google, but with Windows ME2

____/ Phil Da Lick! on Thursday 05 June 2008 10:00 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> Gates threatens to buy millions and millions of servers for Microsoft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | See what we mean about the thud? Here's Gates giving his long goodbye and
>> | basically outlining what Google has been up to for years.
>> |
>> | We may be underplaying the customization work that Microsoft already has
>> | underway, but we doubt it. The company buys its gear from the Tier 1 set
>> | and Rackable Systems. It's pretty well locked into the old model, while
>> | Google has managed to turn Intel of all companies into a custom design
>> | house, with the chip maker crafting bespoke motherboards. Google's also
>> | building its own switches and doing unspeakable things with disks.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/04/microsoft_datacenter_millions/
>

> Who in their right mind would outsource their email systems to M$? From
> privacy issues to lock in to possible price-gouging to the possiblity of
> malware running rampant through these data centers, you'd have to be
> outta yer freakin mind!

A few days ago Microsoft said it had a branding issue, especially when it comes
to online services. It's a reputation well deserved and Microsoft is trying to
realise how to tackle this. Maybe they should just switch to Linux... oh, and
Google. Even O'Reilly thinks so very recently:

MicroHoo: corporate penis envy?

,----[ Quote ]
| My advice to Microsoft: outsource your search to Google too!
|
| [...]
|
| Fighting over search is a bit like the Free Software Foundation
| re-implementing cat, ls, sort, and all the other Unix utilities that were
| already available in the Berkeley distributions of Unix. The real problem was
| solved by someone outside the FSF, when Linux Torvalds wrote a kernel, a
| missing piece that became the gravitational center of Linux, the center
| around which all of the other projects could coalesce, which made them more
| valuable not by competing with them but by completing them.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/05/microhoo-corporate-penis-envy.html

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Billigator: eats your filesystem alive
 16:05:01 up 51 days, 14:17,  5 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.00, 1.16