[News] Facebook 'Open Source' More of a Fake

Facebook adopts the CPAL poison pill

,----[ Quote ]
| For more traditional software projects, customers derive value from being
| able to modify the source code. But Facebook's customers are unlikely to do
| so, and now its partners (and competitors) won't do so, either. CPAL may make
| sense in some contexts, but I'm not sure this is one of them, unless Facebook
| actually intends for no one to modify its source code....
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9958180-16.html

CPAL? What's That?

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, if someone builds a web site based on the Facebook code, they
| must make the source code of their modifications available as soon as they
| let users into the site - whether or not they ship their own site code as a
| separate product.
|
| One further note about the CPAL: because it's based on the MPL, it is not
| compatible with the GPL.  Facebook does not appear to have availed itself of
| the dual-licensing provisions of the CPAL, meaning that any of Facebook's
| CPAL-licensed code cannot legally be linked with GPL code.
`----

http://ostatic.com/163756-blog/cpalss-whats-thatss

Is Facebook an open source hero or Microsoft clone?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of far more interest to me is Facebook’s attempt to control its open source
| future, mainly under the Common Public Attribution License (the badgeware
| license) approved by the OSI after submission by SocialText.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2505

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-06-03-020-26-OP-LL-DV-0000

GH - Subject: CPAL