[News] [OT] Intel Abuses Its Monopoly Again

[USB3.0 Gets Forked]

,----[ Quote ]
| USB3.0 is forking. Intel is playing power games again, the industry is going
| around it, and we all lose.
|
| [...]
|
| The two standards won't be compatible of course and both will be called
| USB3.0, so when you buy a PC or a device, they won't necessarily work
| together. If you remember the broken mess that was USB1.0, you have a fair
| idea of what is in store. [...] Intel is sitting on the host spec and not
| giving it out. Their claim is that they want it 100 per cent done before they
| give it out, which they will.
|
| [...]
|
| Device end specs are out, and Intel will tell you that anyone who really
| desperately wants to can reverse engineer the device end spec and make their
| own Host Bus Adapter (HBA).
|
| [...]
|
| You would end up with a dozen or four HBAs, and every USB3.0 implementation
| would need a different driver, things would be incompatible, and a general
| mess ensues.
|
| [...]
|
| If you can't wait the six months, you are welcome to make your own
| incompatible version. They are sharing the HBA spec with some people, but
| will not share with others, especially if the 'other' competes.
|
| [...]
|
| In the end, we all lose, and USB3.0 is a lost cause. Based on what is coming,
| hold off and wait for USB3.1
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/01/usb3-gets-forked

Last week:

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux