Re: [News] OOXML Hits Roadblock at ISO After Corruptions; Could Take Months to Resolve

> Microsoft's standards bid stalled
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Brazil, India, South Africa and Venezuela have complained that there was not
>| enough time given to discuss improvements to the format.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| The ratification of OpenXML would be an important seal of approval for
>| Microsoft, which has long been held to task for its failure to embrace open
>| standards.
>|
>| Government bodies would be more likely to adopt the standard if it had
>| an "open" rubber-stamp as many are concerned that storing documents in a
>| proprietary format could cause problems for future archiving.
>|
>| The Office OpenXML format was initially approved by the International
>| Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) in April but will now remain on hold
>| while the appeals are investigated.
>|
>| This could take several months.
> `----

> Four national standards bodies appeal against approval of ISO/IEC DIS 29500
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The two management boards will then decide whether the appeals should be
>| further processed or not. If they decide in favour of proceeding, the
>| chairmen of the two boards are required to establish a conciliation panel
>| which will attempt to resolve the appeals. The process could take several
>| months.
> `----
>
> http://www.iso.org/iso/pressrelease.htm?refid=Ref1136
>
> That'll give some time for the Commission to deliver its findings and fines.

Presumably, they're hoping that the world will forget about this issue
by the time it comes around again, or at least, won't have the appetite
to have another stab at it.  We must remain focused on this, and not
permit a little delaying tactic to blunt resolve of those interested in
freely available documentation.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |