Re: [News] [Rival] Service Pack 3 for Windows XP: More Harm Than Good

> Router crashes blamed on Windows XP SP3
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Been having problems with your broadband router rebooting unexpectedly?
>| Windows XP SP3 has been named as the culprit.
> `----
>
> http://apcmag.com/router_crashes_blamed_on_windows_xp_sp3.htm

   The company has produced firmware upgrades that solve the problem,
   which relate to a bug in Billion's code, not Microsoft's. It relates
   to the fact that Microsoft has started issuing "flag 43" as part of
   DHCP messages to the modem -- something that has been built into the
   DHCP specification for 11 years, but not actually used in Windows
   until XP SP 3.

Anyway, the "What's the Best OS Poll" is pretty funny.  Why?  Because
Windows for Workgroups appears in the list, and DOS weighs in at a hefty
9%.

> XP SP3 crashes AMD machines
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| One user reported, "I just installed Windows XP SP3 and after completing the
>| processes and when the system reboots, the system cannot proceed to load the
>| Windows. It just displays the flash screen of Windows then after it reboots
>| again."
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/09/xp-sp3-crashes-amd-machines

Good old Hewlett-Packard.  Those guys could mess up a steel ball!

--
Reinvent yourself!
   -- Bill Gates