[News] AGPLv3 Adoption Already Healthy

GPL Project Watch List for Week of 06/13

,----[ Quote ]
| This week our GPL v3 count is at 2592 GPL v3 projects, and increase of 59 GPL
| v3 projects. There was speculation as to whether the AGPL v3 would draw
| projects from the GPL v3 conversion rates, but this does not seem to be
| happening. The AGPL v3 count is up 7 projects bringing it to 109 AGPL v3
| projects. The LGPL v3 number is at 251 LGPL v3 projects, up 9 projects from
| last week.
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/06/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of-0613.html

Recent:

Do we need to protect open source from the cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some view this as a simple loophole to be plugged. The GPL was originally
| written very much within the context of Unix programmatic and operating
| system interfaces. Therefore, the reasoning goes, the only reason the GPL
| didn't encompass access via Web services is that there were no Web
| services--at least in anything like their current form--when the GPL was
| created. That the new GPLv3 specifically doesn't address this "loophole"
| either was more a matter of practicality than principle by this view.
|
| And, in fact, one approach to eliminating this loophole is a straightforward
| enough approach. The Affero GPL is a straightforward extension to the GPLv3
| license that essentially expands the definition of distribution to encompass
| the delivery of services over the network.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9939131-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/agplv3-keeps-open-source-vibrant-age-saas