[News] [Rival] Microsoft the Biggest Loser After the Yahoo Mistake

Google-Yahoo deal good news for IM, but...

,----[ Quote ]
| A minor sidelight in the Yahoo-Google search ad deal announced Thursday is
| that the two companies "agreed to enable interoperability between their
| respective instant-messaging services, bringing easier and broader
| communication to users," the companies said. They're not sharing further
| details at this stage, but it's safe to bet that means people on Yahoo's IM
| network will be able to chat with those on Google's and vice-versa.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9967942-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Tactlessly enough, Microsoft lost tens of billions in value [1] by approaching
Yahoo and it made Google _even stronger_ [2] by marrying it with Yahoo at the
end. What a colossal mistake. It got completely distracted [3].

Microsoft officially unhappy with Yahoo-Google deal

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been a lot of stories since the Google-Yahoo deal was announced
| Thursday saying that Microsoft would be mounting a massive campaign to block
| the deal. But until now, I haven't seen Microsoft itself saying much about
| the antitrust implications of the actual deal.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9968388-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

_____
[1] Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
| by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121004447596669953.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

[2] Yahoo-Microsoft Battle Bolsters Google

,----[ Quote ]
| "We find this to be a very advantageous situation for Google," Cantor
| Fitzgerald analyst Derek Brown said Thursday. "The longer this gets dragged
| out, the better for Google."
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/11/AR2008041100844.html

[3] Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362