Re: [News] BECTA Still Fails to Understand Free Software, Open Source

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 14 June 2008 14:31 : \____

http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639/becta-open-source-and-education-too-little-too-late

>> BECTA seems to have chosen a Microsoft/Windows shop (for so-called 'open
>> source' at schools) whose site just won't work without Flash (the site runs
>> Windows). What a farce! Later on they might use this farce to throw 'blame'
>> and pull a Newham. People have begun slamming BECTA for it.
>>

> It's a total disaster, and indicates just how little Becta have really
> understood regarding the nature of foss in terms of business models,
> development models, openness, avoidance of lock-in and so on.  They've
> fallen back on "safe territory", amazingly, to a supplier which clearly
> knows absolutely nothing about open-source.  No doubt that proprietary
> vendors, in particular Microsoft, are very happy about this indeed.  It
> would be very interesting to find out just what the criteria were for
> the selection of an open-source supplier in this space, how those
> criteria were applied, and how open they were.  This decision stinks of
> inappropriate behaviour.

Wait until the 'consultants' say that them took them *hours* to discover out
how to add a programs menu item (because computer=Windows) or cost them
hundreds of dollars to buy anti-spyware software for each Linux box (yeah,
like by 'open source' they mean anything GPL).

I am still stunned at the sight of their Web site. It's. All. Flash. And it's
on Windows.

Fasten your seatbelt. This BECTA scam is going to come under scrutiny for quite
some time. People are watching what started with BECTA shooting the big toe.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
         run-level 2  2008-04-15 01:48                   last=