[News] Wine's 1.0 Release is Near

Finally, it's time for Wine

,----[ Quote ]
| Fifteen years in the making, everyone's favorite software to run Windows
| programs on Linux and Unix, Wine, is almost ready for its 1.0 release.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/138160

Other F/OSS projects in the spotlight:

Avidemux cuts out video editing stress

,----[ Quote ]
| Making simple edits to videos of all formats shouldn't be tricky business,
| but most tools out there either do way too much or are so belabored with ads
| that who knows what evil lurks within their code.
`----

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9966738-12.html

Sun taking on LeftHand with open source IP SAN code

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun's Comstar open source code transforms an OpenSolaris server and its
| direct-attached disks into a SAN (storage area network) accessed over iSCSI
| links.
`----

http://blocksandfiles.com/article/5533

Recent:

Windows is on its Last Legs!?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sound insane to you? I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most
| popular items in Computers and PC Hardware list. As I write this, on the
| evening of April 13th, eight of the top 25 sellers are Linux-powered Asus Eee
| UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs) and there’s also the Linux-fueled Nokia N800 tablet
| for a total of nine Linux systems. There are also seven Mac models on the
| list, topped by the Apple MacBook MB403LL/A 13.3-inch; Laptop. Finally,
| beneath almost all the Linux PCs and all of the Macs, you’ll find four, count
| em four, Vista-powered laptops.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/linux/windows-is-on-its-last-legs/

The making of Wine (how to make Windows apps merrier with Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Flash forward to today. It's been the better part of a decade and Microsoft
| has not been toppled by anyone's reckoning. However it did release Vista -
| perhaps the most hated Windows operating system of all time (though it's hard
| to beat Windows ME on that count). Enterprises badly want alternatives to
| Windows. Desktop Linux has come a long way since 1999, too. and (who knew?)
| the Mac has become the ultra chic, must-have PC. The enterprise has its
| alternatives - if it can only get those mission critical Windows apps to work
| flawlessly. Wine, in its commercial form, has been doing so for years.
|
| So, in 2008, the 1.0 version will hit the streets and the timing could not be
| more perfect. White admits that not every Windows application will work
| flawlessly on Wine, but many a critical one for the enterprise has been
| specifically optimized.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26915

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/