Re: [News] Firefox 3.0 Approaches 20 Million Downloads, Integrates Well with GNU/Linux

On 2008-06-25, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> No go. It fails at the step of building xul. Disabled that. Then it
>> failed at some other step. I deleted the whole schmear and decided to
>> wait for my mind to cahnge on which distro I want installed, and look
>> for one with FF3. Unless this one adds it before I change my mind.
>
> Maybe you should buy Vista then:
>
>    http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversion/index.php/t32576.html
>
>    Tried Firefox Beta 3 on 64-Bit Vista
>
>    Zdon Mar 13 2008, 05:59 PM
>
>    I tried FF Beta 4 on Vista 64-Bit. It appeared to install, but would
>    not run. Is anyone using FF B4 on 64-bit successfully? I am finding
>    IE8 not to be very interesting at this point. I can't believe, well
>    yes I can, tha MS would put out a beta that is this dysfunctional
>    unless run in IE7 compatibility mode. See thread in this forum.
>
>    osuwildlifer Mar 14 2008, 01:49 AM
>
>    Yep, Firefox 3 Beta 4 has been running flawlessly on my 64bit SP1
>    system since it's release. Not a single problem that i can think of
>    at the moment. Except for the design of the buttons/icons, I don't
>    see much difference between beta 3 and beta 4.
>
>    And i completely agree with you about IE8B... <thumbs down icon>
>
> Of course, perhaps that is really just a 32-bit version of FF they are
> running.

If I had to run Vista to ever run Firefox again, I'd revert to Galeon.
Even Dillo would be better. Or Links, Lynx, Elinks, Konqueror,
Epiphany, Opera. Even out-of-date Netscape and Mozilla would be better
options.

I did make one mistake in the beginning. This is my /Lenny/ machine,
not Etch. The other is Etch (32-bit, but the machine is 64-bit
capable). I had it running in 32-bit Etch (on a third machine) using a
parallel install of gtk. But I haven't been able to do the same with
Lenny. I have no idea if I could get it to work in 64-bit Etch. But I
suspect that I might still run up on a missing library or two that I'd
need to build.

Anyway, my bad. Since Lenny isn't in a release-ready state (sorta like
Vista for another dozen or so SPs) it's not a total surprise that I
might run into a problem or four.

--
VISTA: Visually Interesting but Still Terrible Appliance