Re: [News] Back to DOS Day Nostalgia, Under GNU/Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 10 March 2008 10:49 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 March 2008 22:28 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Did you notice that they did their testing on linux 2.6 kernel and
>>> Windows XP?  No mention of Vista.
>>>
>>> After providing the run-down of supported platforms  (BSDs, BeOS, OS/2,
>>> Mac plus the above), they then say:
>>>
>>> "For Ubuntu user you can simply use apt-get or synaptic to install
>>> DOSBox"
>>>
>>> Well, it's taken around 5 years or more, but finally, the ease of
>>> package management for Linux systems is coming to the fore.
>>
>> They are right to ignore Vista.
>>
>> Vista is likely to be skipped by many, but whatever comes after Vista,
>> Microsoft still seems unsure about it. They have hardly begun development
>> based on what I have read (must fix Vista first in order for it to evolve
>> safely). Windows 7, which may come in the next decade, will be developed in
>> India. This might save Microsoft some money (it only has around $20 billion
>> in the bank, which is unimpressive, with few hard assets to brag about).
>>
>> Remember: the thing to address now is Microsoft's attempt to tax Linux with
>> software patents and sellouts like Novell. Windows is likely to be passe...
>> on devices, servers and last but not least on the desktop (Apple and Linux
>> will share that carcass). Microsoft wants to teach innocent kids about the
>> imaginary property so that it can charge money for imaginary things like
>> ideas used by Cox, Torvalds and others to write an excellent program.
>>

> There is no way that Microsoft can afford to develop another operating
> system, indeed, I don't think that we'll see another proprietary OS
> developed again, ever.  The cost of doing so is so enormous now that
> it's arrived in "natural monopoly" territory.  Only collaborative
> development is going to bring further OS development to the world.
> Should Microsoft be foolish enough to really try to write a Windows 7,
> then that will surely be the last thing that they do.  More probably, they
> might attempt an Apple, and see if they can get a BSD flavour running,
> but I think that they might need to buy the Cedega guys too in order to
> get any kind of windows legacy application compatibility.
>
> Worse than that, I very much doubt that by the time they've done all
> this, there'll be much of a market left for them.  Linux dominates the
> super-computing market, it's growing into the commercial server space at
> a fantastic rate, well ahead of Microsoft, it shares the smartphone space
> with Symbian, and it dominates (in fact, created) the low-power mobility
> and server space (Excito Bubba, Elonex, Asus Eee, Dell, HP etc. etc.).
>
> By the time Microsoft have anything ready, pretty much everyone will
> have moved to openoffice.org, mysql and linux-based mobility machines,
> firefox and so on.  How, exactly, are Microsoft going to /sell licences/
> in such a space?  Who would buy them?  Why?

> [...]

They sometimes get caught acknowledging this too. But they know they'll perish
without Yahoo, so they have to show investors that they respond by changing.
They have a cannibalisation dilemma (e.g. how to move people from the Office
cash cow to free Web-based Office while maintaining the same revenue,
__without Cooking the Books__).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: just set it and forget about it
 17:05:01 up 46 days,  2:59,  4 users,  load average: 2.07, 1.69, 1.26