Re: [News] Back to DOS Day Nostalgia, Under GNU/Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 March 2008 22:28 : \____

>> DOSBox evokes nostalgia
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| With the thump of a synthesizer board and pixelated figures animating the
>>| screen, nostalgia sets in. Do you remember the era of frizz, mullets, and
>>| the lone arcade machine in the corner café? With DOSBox, a free open source
>>| DOS emulator, arcade legends like Golden Axe, Bubble Bobble, and Street
>>| Fighter are brought to life again on your modern PC.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2206
>>
>> Not news, but the screenshots are moving. While Vista kills old
>> applications, Linux with Wine keep many of them alive.
>>

> Did you notice that they did their testing on linux 2.6 kernel and
> Windows XP?  No mention of Vista.
>
> After providing the run-down of supported platforms  (BSDs, BeOS, OS/2,
> Mac plus the above), they then say:
>
> "For Ubuntu user you can simply use apt-get or synaptic to install
> DOSBox"
>
> Well, it's taken around 5 years or more, but finally, the ease of
> package management for Linux systems is coming to the fore.

They are right to ignore Vista.

Vista is likely to be skipped by many, but whatever comes after Vista,
Microsoft still seems unsure about it. They have hardly begun development
based on what I have read (must fix Vista first in order for it to evolve
safely). Windows 7, which may come in the next decade, will be developed in
India. This might save Microsoft some money (it only has around $20 billion in
the bank, which is unimpressive, with few hard assets to brag about).

Remember: the thing to address now is Microsoft's attempt to tax Linux with
software patents and sellouts like Novell. Windows is likely to be passe... on
devices, servers and last but not least on the desktop (Apple and Linux will
share that carcass). Microsoft wants to teach innocent kids about the
imaginary property so that it can charge money for imaginary things like ideas
used by Cox, Torvalds and others to write an excellent program.

Microsoft: a device for converting public ignorance into cash
Mem:    515500k total,   389536k used,   125964k free,     1636k buffers