[News] Microsoft Protocols May be Sensitive to Malware, Reveals Samba Lawyer

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Protocols May be Sensitive to Malware, Reveals Samba Lawyer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 04:54:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Interview with Carlos Piana

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawyer for Samba and the Free Software Foundation Europe explains the
| behind-the-scenes work behind last month's antitrust decision against
| Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| A quite spectacular defence was that about security. Basically it said that,
| unlike the Internet protocols, those keeping together a Microsoft work group
| network were so conceived that the all the servers acted as if they were a
| single distributed entity. In other words they were "tightly coupled",
| closely knitted together so that any intrusion from the outside, a drop-in
| replacement pretending to be a Microsoft Windows server could cause
| irreparable harm and all sort of nefarious problems. Besides, disclosing the
| specifications of their protocols would have required a hardening of the
| protocols, in order to make them resistant to malware attack or simply of
| badly designed third-party software which could have compromised the whole
| infrastructure.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/030808-piana.html

Related:

James Allchin

,---[ Quote ]
| In relation to the issue of sharing technical API and protocol
| information used throughout Microsoft products, which the
| states were seeking, Allchin alleged that releasing this
| information would increase the security risk to consumers.
|
|        "It is no exaggeration to say that the national security is
|        also implicated by the efforts of hackers to break into
|        computing networks. Computers, including many running Windows
|        operating systems, are used throughout the United States
|        Department of Defense and by the armed forces of the United
|        States in Afghanistan and elsewhere."
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

Dual_EC_DRBG Added to Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has added the random-number generator Dual_EC-DRBG to Windows
| Vista, as part of SP1. Yes, this is the same RNG that could have an NSA
| backdoor.
|
| It's not enabled by default, and my advice is to never enable it. Ever.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/12/dual_ec_drbg_ad.html

Duh! Windows Encryption Hacked Via Random Number Generator

,----[ Quote ]
| GeneralMount Carmel, Haifa – A group of researchers headed by Dr. Benny
| Pinkas from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Haifa
| succeeded in finding a security vulnerability in Microsoft's "Windows 2000"
| operating system. The significance of the loophole: emails, passwords, credit
| card numbers, if they were typed into the computer, and actually all
| correspondence that emanated from a computer using "Windows 2000" is
| susceptible to tracking. "This is not a theoretical discovery. Anyone who
| exploits this security loophole can definitely access this information on
| other computers," remarked Dr. Pinkas.
|
| Editors Note:  I believe this "loophole" is part of the Patriot Act, it is
| designed for foreign governments.  Seriously, if you care about security,
| privacy, data, trojans, spyware, etc., one does not run Windows, you run
| Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/14365/duh-windows-encryption-hacked-via-random-number-generator

Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?

,----[ Quote ]
| Which is why you should worry about a new random-number standard that
| includes an algorithm that is slow, badly designed and just might contain a
| backdoor for the National Security Agency.
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/11/securitymatters_1115

NSA Backdoors in Crypto AG Ciphering Machines

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/nsa_backdoors_i.html