Re: [News] Microsoft Protocols May be Sensitive to Malware, Reveals Samba Lawyer

____/ Linonut on Sunday 09 March 2008 14:44 : \____

>> Interview with Carlos Piana
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/030808-piana.html
>
>    What was Microsoft's strategy? How did the company defend itself in
>    this case?
>
>    The general strategy appears to me, frankly, to be a damage control
>    and delay one. They have hired possibly the best representation money
>    can buy in Europe, people that have made the history of EC law.
>    Luckily also on our side of the wall there was no shortage of
>    brilliant and prepared minds. So the strategy was well served by a
>    good display of tactical maneuvers to make the case as complex and
>    costly as possible. The sheer volume of the paperwork is itself
>    staggering: it takes almost a scaffold in my office. But I must also
>    say that the opponent was reasonably fair in avoiding dirty tricks
>    and ambushes.
>
>    . . .
>
>    But nothing was more shocking to me than hearing that they could not
>    release the specifications because... they do not exist. They had to
>    call back retired engineers or scroll through millions of lines of
>    source code to find out what the heck they have done with the
>    protocols.
>
>    Part of our value added in the case was to show how this all was
>    nonsense.

Microsoft also has lobbyists in key positions in Europe. They use proxies, so
it's not just a question of hiring lawyers. I could dig up many references to
prove this.

Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
Mem:    515500k total,   393004k used,   122496k free,      812k buffers