[News] [Rival] Microsoft Wants to Abuse the Net (Yahoo with XAML, Anti-Google/LAMP Move)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Wants to Abuse the Net (Yahoo with XAML, Anti-Google/LAMP Move)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:48:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft architecture chief 'clarifies' online formula

,----[ Sub-headline ]
| Silverlight + Yahoo! = $$$$
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/03/05/ozzie_microsoft_services/

Ozzie: Microsoft Needs Yahoo for Web, Advertising Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chief Software Architect Ray Ozzie today attempted to clarify
| Microsoft's Web-based advertising and services strategy and lay a case for
| why buying Yahoo is integral to that plan.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/05/AR2008030502848.html

Good news for Google in the mean time:

Google Likely to Get EU Approval to Buy DoubleClick

,----[ Quote ]
| European regulators plan to approve Google Inc.'s proposed $3.1 billion
| takeover of DoubleClick Inc. without conditions, rejecting complaints by
| Microsoft Corp. that the deal would hurt competition, according to three
| people with direct knowledge of the case.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awhfy4gbScEc&refer=home

Related:

News Analysis: Microsoft General Counsel on DoubleClick and Antitrust

,----[ Quote ]
| This raises a very important question - why didn't Microsoft match Google's
| $3.1 billion offer. Smith would not comment on this, but I can report from
| very good sources that in fact the company did offer to match it, and was
| willing to pay even more to insure that Google did not corner the online ad
| market. But for whatever reasons, the private equity firm that owned the
| majority of DoubleClick's shares decided to go with Google.
|
| [...]
|
| I asked Smith about the irony of Microsoft asking the government to
| support it on antitrust. His response was interesting.
`----

http://battellemedia.com/archives/003561.php

Microsoft Befriends Google's Foes

,----[ Quote ]