[News] [Rival] Apple Might be Pulling a Microsoft with Secret APIs

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple Might be Pulling a Microsoft with Secret APIs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 18:08:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Finding the OS X Turbo Button

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of you may have noticed that the Firefox 3 nightly builds have felt a
| lot snappier since a few weeks ago.  There's an interesting story in that,
| one that I finally have time to write up.  We've had a number of bugs on the
| Mac where people were complaining of bad performance compared to Firefox 2,
| usually involving a test where a page was scrolled by a small step 100 or so
| times, and the time from start to finish was recorded.  In many of these
| tests, Fx3 was coming in at 50% to 500%+ slower.  This was odd, because in
| theory the graphics layer (which is what scrolling is mostly exercising) in
| Firefox 3 should be faster, given that it's talking almost directly to
| Quartz.
`----

http://blog.vlad1.com/2008/02/28/finding-the-os-x-turbo-button/

Related:

Many thanks to Doug for the text below.

From: markwa Thu Jan 25 12:08:05 1990
To: winbug
Cc: davidw; greglo
Subject: missing constants WEP_ in windows.h
Date: Mon Nov 04 15:44:06 PDT 1991

Two constants need to be defined in Windows.h

WEP_SYSTEMEXIT  (system shutdown in progress)
WEP_FREE_DLL    (DLL use count is zero)

I don't know what the numerics valuse are; DavidW should know.

These two constants are already documented in the Guide to Programming
chapter on DLLs.