Re: [News] [Rival] BusinessWeek on Microsoft's Risk of BAN in Europe

____/ Linonut on Saturday 01 March 2008 16:44 : \____

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2008/tc20080227_967982.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

> Didn't that hostile goober, Ballmer, once threaten to remove Windows
> from the European market?
>
> Promises promises.
>
> Well, if you want something done, ya gotta do it yerself.

Microsoft /needs/ Europe. Very few countries pay (or can afford to pay) for
Windows and Office. Always remind yourself that no matter how many
people /use/ these cash cows, not many people actually /pay/ for these. The
European market is more affluent, so that's where a lot of Microsoft's income
will arrive from.

People get distracted by Windows and Office 'market share', but how many people
in China and India, for example, actually pay for the software (esp. outside
the business setting)? Oh, and be sure that not many people use the XBox and
the Zune outside the US. In fact, even though I cannot recall the specifics at
the moment, Germany rejected the Zune (or maybe Microsoft did not introduce it
there because it was abysmal).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
Tasks: 131 total,   1 running, 130 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie