Re: [Rival] Microsoft Admits Windows Vista is Closer to Worthless?

____/ nrballard@xxxxxxxxx on Saturday 01 March 2008 03:45 : \____

> On Feb 29, 1:52 pm, 7 <website_has_em...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> > Microsoft cuts Vista prices to urge upgrades
>>
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>>
>> >http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2859398120080229
>>
>> > How about actually fixing the product first? Ballmer says only marketing
>> > is needed and trial exhibits showed that Vista's main customer is Intel,
>> > not OEMs or users.
>>
>> > Signs of desperation.
>>
>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAAA!!!!
>>
>> All those who parted with money for PISTA have been royally
>> rogered for excessive amounts of fees as usual for a crap
>> product from micoshaft, and they have nothing to show for
>> it other than envy towards windummies purchasing this crap
>> for a few dollars less.
>>
>> What a way to live eh?
>>
>> As someone points out the obvious - everyone is waiting
>> for expee prices to drop so they can go replace PISTA!!!
>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
>>
>> And in the mean time, all the sys admins have stopped
>> listening to windummies and the fraudulent asstroturfers
>> sent by micoshaft and its allies. Now they all practice
>> free Linux at home waiting for the day when they
>> switch everything over to Linux.
>>
>> There is plenty more
>> here....http://www.livecdlist.comhttp://www.distrowatch.com
>
> I'm reminded of Apple's "switch" commercials from the late 90's...the
> ones where the former PC users talk about how their horrific
> experiences with Windows caused them to purchase Macs.  Using Vista
> over the course of a few months will definitely create a similar
> situation.  We'll either see more people installing Linux on their
> PCs, or they'll be dumping PCs altogether.

They pass it on to other people, if that's what you mean by "dumping". Here is
where it all ends up, _uncounted_. From the news yesterday and the day before
this (many articles in the press):

'Installfest' Brings Open Source Tools to Northern California Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea is to take advantage of the low overhead of open-source tools and
| operating systems, such as the Linux-based Ubuntu, so that computers that
| would otherwise have been discarded can be put to use for educational
| institutions and other groups, including low-income individuals and
| non-profits.
|
| [...]
|
| Some of the California schools participating in the March Installfest include
| Ascend School, Bella Vista Elementary, Casa Grande High School, KIPP San
| Francisco Bay Academy, Lockwood School, Mission High School, and Whittier
| Elementary School.
`----

http://www.thejournal.com/articles/22127

Does that count as Linux sales? Mythical 'market share'? From what I've been
reading, there are many schools around the world that use Linux without anyone
really taking notice.

Remember that Microsoft hardly makes a dime outside the affluent world, where
attempts to crack down on copyrights infringement will result in quicker and
more massive defections to Linux, such as the one you now find in Russia.

It is hardly surprising that Microsoft has financial uncertainty ahead. Office
and Windows are among the few products that make profit and these only
get /sold/ in more wealthy countries. Remember the embarrassing figures about
Vista sales in China? That was hilarious.

"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."
                --Paul Maritz, Microsoft