Re: Second Wubi install

____/ Tom Shelton on Friday 29 February 2008 14:52 : \____

> On 2008-02-29, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On this one I used Kubuntu. Great idea. No messing with partitions, just a
>> big file/virtual hard drive. (For those who are afraid to leave Windows.)
>>
>> http://wubi-installer.org/
>>

> I tried it on my Vista box, and though it seems a nice idea - I had a
> couple of issues and ended up uninstalling it.
>
> The install, seemed to go well, and I had a working Kubuntu system when it
> was done - but, when I tried to install the proprietary nvidia drivers, the
> system locked like up tight every time X tried to startup.  I didn't
> care enough to try and fix it, so that's when I decided to uninstall it
> - it was just an experiement.  The scarriest part is that when I
> uninstalled it, my data partition that I had installed it on became corrupted
> - and Vista had to run it through chkdisk to be able to access it again....
>
> I still have to remove the entry from my Vista boot menu.

Tom, I have always been suspicious of you and you may be trying to just scare
people who intend to use Wubi and migrate to Linux. Please provide some proof
of your claims above. Appended is an example of the tactic I have in mind
(mind my highlight).

,----[ Quote ]
| From w-carrin Mon Oct 15 12:18:05 1990
| To: bradsi
| Subject: Getting the word out about DR DOS
| Cc: kathrynh; russw
| Date: Mon Oct 15 12:09:08 1990
|
| Concerns have been raised that DR-DOS incompatibilities and flaws are
| being overlooked by reviewers.
|
| ..
|
| We recommend that we *informally* plant the bug of FUD in their ears.
|                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| "Have you heard about problems with DR DOS?"
|
| "That security feature is a neat idea and, gosh, such a feature would be
| great, but it's just too easily circumvented"
|
| "Gee, it's unfortunate that DR DOS can't be loaded high all the time.
| MS-DOS 5.0 can" We'll do this very tactfully.
|
| ..
|
| The security features may lead someone to a false sense of security and
| someone may break into their payroll.
|
| ..
|
| * If Digital Research can to Microsoft for help in making DR DOS work
| with Windows, would Microsoft help them? Maybe not?
|
| http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_0425.pdf
|
| W-Carrin is the prefix for Weggener Edstrom, Microsoft's public
| relations firm.
`----

Thanks in advance.

"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."
                --Paul Maritz, Microsoft