Re: Asus EEE unloading USB devices

____/ Matty F on Wednesday 19 March 2008 02:00 : \____

> On Mar 14, 6:59 pm, Matty F <mattyf9...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mar 14, 12:19 pm, Johnny Borborigmi <gr...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > Simple, right click on the icon of the device in the task bar, choose
>> > unmount or remove device.
>> > Simple right?
>>
>> And what "icon of the device" would that be?
>
> I have since found an icon in the task bar that looks like a dead
> person lying on his side. Hovering the mouse over it shows the amount
> of free space on a device. It's not exactly clear what device that is,
> but a right click allows it to be unmounted. Sure enough it's the
> thumbdrive.
> The unmount seems to work consistently now, although I believe there
> was a problem on another borrowed Asus machine.
>
> So my request to the people who make icons is, please make them
> meaningful, and so that they can be described easily and looked up in
> manuals.

Good point. Bear in mind that icons have a lot to do with experience and prior
familiarity. For example, consider basket/trolley as a metaphor (the word, not
just the image). How about Microsoft's representation of 'Internet' as some
Blue letter that reads "E"? Meaningful?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
Tasks: 144 total,   1 running, 142 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie