Re: [News] Microsoft and Intel Acknowledge Falling Behind (GNU/Linux et al)

____/ 7 on Tuesday 18 March 2008 22:59 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Intel and Microsoft dump $20m on researchers to avert software crisis
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft, in particular, has been viewed as a laggard in the race
>> | toward multi-threaded applications. When told by Intel of the shift
>> | toward multi-core chips, Bill Gates remarked, "We can't write software
>> | to keep up with that." Gates then urged Intel to continue producing
>> | faster processors as it had always done. "No, Bill, it's not going to
>> | work that way," Intel vice president Pat Gelsinger responded.
>> |
>> | Now it would seem that Microsoft realizes the severity of the software
>> | issues ahead, which must please Intel since it relies on improved
>> | software to create demand for its latest and greatest processors. To its
>> | credit, Intel has been funding a variety of programs around
>> | multi-threaded software and has issued some developer tools.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/18
> intel_microsoft_berkeley_illinois_funding/
>

> What software crisis?
>
> There are 20,000+ free and open source packages available in Linux
> repositories. Even if you could evaluate 1 a day, it would take decades
> to go through them for any one person.
>
> The crisis these two companies are panicking over is how to sucker more
> developers to write proprietory software for them so that
> they can hoard it to make more money.
>
> Thats not a crisis for anyone but the respective companies
> that are spending the money.
>
> And those universities accepting the money? Are they not
> selling out their students by doing this?

Microsoft and Intel are more interested in cash than in development.

"(..) current PC technology is totally sufficient for most office tasks and
consumers desires and (..) any performance bottleneck is not in today’s PC’s
but in today’s COM pipes. This in itself might slow down replacement cycles
and life time shortening until we find true MIPS eating applications - a
priority not only Intel should subscribe to."
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

        --Joachim Kempin
          senior vice president for OEM sales, Microsoft

Now, you see, Intel and Microsoft fell behind. Windows was deliberately
made 'fat' and Intel chips cannot handle mobiles-compatible, low-power
devices. See:

Why the XO Laptop is better than the Classmate

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been some awful FUD flying around the OLPC world in the last few
| days, with misquotes, misinformation, and flat out lies being propagated left
| and right. Even Engadget, one of the better geektech blogs out there, got it
| completely wrong regarding OLPC CTO Mary Lou Jepsen's departure from the
| project.
|
| [...]
|
| Classmate is more expensive, consumes 10 times the power, has 1/3 the wifi
|              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| range, and can't be used outside. Also, the Classmate doesn't use neighboring
| laptops to extend the reach of the internet via hopping (mesh-networking)
| like the XO does. So not only is the XO cheaper than the Classmate, the XO
| requires less infrastructre expenditure for electricity and for internet
| access.
`----

http://planet-geek.com/archives/004331.html

Intel-powered XO is too expensive and consumes too much power

,----[ Quote ]
| 2 days before Intel CEO Paul Otellini would unveil the Classmate 2 or the
| Intel-powered XO at the CES, Intel announced that they are quitting the OLPC
| board.
|
| Intel claims that they are quitting because of Nicholas Negroponte wanting
| them to stop the promotion of the Classmate/Eee to education in third world
| countries, but I think that the real reason is that Intel does not have a
| good enough processor for the OLPC project to use as an alternative to the
| AMD Geode LX-700. Intel has not been able to develop a processor to match the
| price, power consumption and performance requirements of the OLPC project.
| Paul Otellini could have looked like a fool at the CES if he had to unveil an
| Intel powered XO that was performing worse in terms of price and power
| consumption compared to the AMD powered one.
`----

http://charbax.com/2008/01/04/intel-diamondville-and-menlow-processors-not-low-costpower-enough/

Needless to say, Microsoft and Intel resorted to corruption against this
AMD/Linux project. Examples of stories:

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man
 23:20:04 up 54 days,  9:14,  6 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.23, 1.17