Re: Dom-Post swallows Microsoft PR.

____/ shane on Tuesday 18 March 2008 03:11 : \____

> Max Burke did scribble:

>> [snip]

>>> What do you mean Even if?
>>> There is no even and there is no if.
>>> Gartner$ have no approved ways of measuring Linux.
>>> If they have, lets see its certification
>>> by any one of the numerous standards bodies.
>>> They just made up the numbers and lied to anyone
>>> purchasing the reports. All those who purchased
>>> worthless pieces of toilet paper from Gartner$ should
>>> sue to obtain a full refund.
>>
>> You know, posts like this from *nix advocates* remind me of little three
>> year olds with throwing temper tantrums, their fingers stuck in their ears,
>> and screaming at the top of their high pitched childish voices....
>>
>> I CANT HEAR YOU!!!!!   I CANT HEAR YOU!!!!   I CANT HEAR YOU!!!!!!
>>
>> It's so funny seeing such advocates coming up with all these long, involved,
>> convoluted excuses as to why black is white, and 1+1=3 in their world.
>>

>> Here's something else they can have a temper tantrum about. And it's from a
>> reputable source so loved by *nix advocates.*
>>
>> From Slashdot:
>>
>> More Linux servers defaced in 2007 than all Windows versions.
>> According to Zone-H.org statistics, more Linux servers were defaced in 2007
>> than Windows machines - all versions of Windows.
>> And this comes from Slashdot, believe it or not.  It must be true because,
>> as we all know, everything you read on Slashdot is the truth, isn't it....
>>
>> "Zone-H have recently posted the statistical breakdown of the collected
>> website defacements from the last few years. Surprisingly, in 2007 more
>> Linux servers suffered a successful attack than all versions of Windows,
>> combined. Similarly, more Apache installations were successfully attacked
>> than all IIS versions combined.
>> http://www.zone-h.org/content/view/14928/30/

Have you seen the response from zone-h.org to this? It's making more headline
than the Slashdot Slashvertisement (for Microsoft). In short, the site debunks
these 'findings' _of its own_. It was never supposed to be used to reach the
conclusion posted in Slashdot. In fact, the site will probably cease to
maintain this database because the selection of sites is biased towards a
population (poor statistics), which makes any hasty conclusions from it moot.
Okay, to explain this differently, the site itself admits that the statement
made by Slashdot is very wrong.

>> Let the temper tantrums begin....
>> ;-)
>>

> Over a self selected survey?

Based on many gigabytes of bandwidth per month I hereby proclaim the market
share of Linux on the desktop 39%. That's just all the stats I have.

> Did you do your statistics with Warwick by any chance?

It's a "lies, damn lies and statistics" classic. Needless to say, that's just
what firms like IDC are assigned to do when Microsoft gives them not only a
payment but also the data. In a recent podcast I heard from execs that Gartner
and IDC are told by Microsoft what definitions to use and provided the data
(they also said that Ballmer shouts at them over the telephone). All they do
is massage some numbers, punch the calculator and then publish a report from
a 'company' that is not called "Microsoft Corp'. IOW, analysts are often
proxies for disinformation.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com