[News] GPL Software Makes Another Red Hat-like Company

Acquia ties success to growth of Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Acquia's business model is to offer tools that make Drupal more accessible
| and easier to manage. Carbon, for instance, is intended take some of the
| guesswork out of understanding and mastering Drupal. "Right now," Whatcott
| says, "the way things are, you install Drupal core, and then you discover the
| modules. And it's kind of a hit and miss process whether you discover them."
|
| In the same way, rather than selling code, Acquia plans to offer an array of
| services, "similar to what Red Hat does with Red Hat Network, and what MySQL
| does with its technologies," Whatcott says.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/129215

Related:

Open Source Drupal Goes Commercial With Acquia

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source Drupal content management system is going commercial thanks
| to a new company, called Acquia, that's led by Dries Buytaert, the founder of
| the Drupal project. The new effort is aiming to bring a commercially
| supported version of Drupal to business users and could well end up shaking
| up the entire content management marketplace.

Drupal goes commercial

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal is currently distributed under a GPL2 licence and Buytaert says that
| the commercial version will also be distributed under a GPL2 licence.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2199

A Big Drop in the Bucket for Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently, the days when a computer science graduate student can invent some
| cool Web software and raise a few million dollars to build a company around
| it are not over. Brand new (less than a month old) North Andover, MA, startup
| Acquia announced yesterday that it’s raised $7 million to market software and
| services in support of the popular Web publishing system Drupal, invented by
| Dries Buytaert, a PhD candidate at the University of Ghent in Belgium.
|
| Like the Linux operating system, the Apache web server, and the MySQL
| database system, Drupal is a free, open-source program with a large community
| of volunteer developers and users. And Acquia’s CEO, Jay Batson, says it will
| remain so. Rather than creating and selling a proprietary version of Drupal—
| or “forking” the system, in geek speak—Acquia will work on specialized
| distributions of the software and help organizations deploy it on a larger
| scale. “We will be to Drupal what Red Hat is to Linux,” Batson says.
`----

http://www.xconomy.com/2007/12/20/a-big-drop-in-the-bucket-for-drupal/

Drupal developer bags $7 million

,----[ Quote ]
| Announcing US$7 million in first round founding from North Bridge Venture
| Partners, Sigma Partners, and O'Reilly AlphaTech Ventures, Buytaert and Jay
| Batson, former CEO and founder of Pingtel, hope to steer their Drupal spun
| startup Acquia deeper into the enterprise.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1547664640&rid=-50

Open-source tools open democracy's doors

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a Vancouver Web guru, "You can't build a free and open society
| using proprietary software."
|
| [...]
|
| Nelson said Drupal started when a Belgian named Dries Buytaert was looking at
| developing an on-line bulletin-board-style system for the co-op he was living
| in, one that would enable people to exchange messages. Buytaert, then a
| university student, still maintains a Web site at buytaert.net/ and,
| according to Nelson, released the Drupal codebase under a GNU licence,
| meaning it conforms to open source.
`----

http://www.straight.com/article-117320/open-source-tools-open-democracys-doors

Drupal founder Dries Buytaert balances community and company interests

,----[ Quote ]
| In the year 2000, Dries Buytaert created Drupal, a freely licensed and open
| source tool to manage websites, as a bulletin board for his college dorm.
| Since Dries released the software and a community of thousands of volunteer
| developers have added and improved modules, Drupal has grown immensely
| popular. Drupal won the overall Open CMS Award in 2007, and some speakers in
| Drupal's spacious developer's room at FOSDEM 2008 were dreaming aloud of its
| world domination.
|
| Buytaert (now 29) just finished his doctoral thesis and has founded the
| start-up Acquia. The new company wants to become Drupal's best friend, with
| the help of an all-star team and US$7 million collected from venture
| capitalists. Wikinews reporter Michaël Laurent sat down with Dries in
| Brussels to discuss these recent exciting developments.
`----

http://www.huliq.com/51507/drupal-founder-dries-buytaert-balances-community-and-company-interests

Drupal 6.0 released

,----[ Quote ]