[News] KDE and GNOME Add Features Even in 'Maintenance' Releases

  • Subject: [News] KDE and GNOME Add Features Even in 'Maintenance' Releases
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:34:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE 4.1 to bring back Konqueror tree view, other goodies

,----[ Quote ]
| When I wrote about file managers in my review of KDE 4.0, I noted that
| several important features had been removed from Konqueror, including the
| tree-based detailed view. Many power users regard the tree view as the most
| effective mode for advanced file management and mourned the loss of this
| feature. Developer Peter Penz reports that the tree view has been restored
| and that it will be fully functional in time for the KDE 4.1 release.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/03/17/kde-4-1-to-bring-back-konqueror-tree-view-other-goodies

GNOME 2.22 focuses on utilities and standard applications

,----[ Quote ]
| For the average user, few of these improvements are must-haves. The sole
| exceptions are probably the new accessibility features, which, for people
| with disabilities, may be far-ranging enough to make GNOME their desktop of
| choice.
|
| Nor does GNOME 2.22 attempt a radical reinterpretation of the desktop, the
| way that KDE 4 does. However, to be fair, no one should expect it to, given
| that GNOME 2.22 is an incremental release.
|
| What GNOME 2.22 offers is an accumulation of small improvements, similar to
| those of the last few releases. These improvements are unlikely to be enough
| for many people to rush out and compile the new version for themselves, or
| even to burn a CD of the latest snapshot of Ubuntu 8.04 or install Foresight
| 2.0, which was released at the same time as the new desktop version. All the
| same, when the new version trickles down into the repositories of other
| distributions, most users should find a handful of improvements they will be
| glad to have.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/129742

Recent:

Matthias Ettrich: The KDE-Man!

,----[ Quote ]
| Nobody in their right mind would choose Windows over GNU/Linux based on the
| desktop experience alone, says Matthias Ettrich.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/25412/news.htm

KDE 4.1: Visual Changelog (rev 783000)

,----[ Quote ]
| You don’t always see this in the official changelogs but the KDE 4
| development is progressing in an extraordinary speed. After a deep look at
| rev 777000 we are presenting you a new visual review of changes made to KDE 4
| during the last couple of weeks.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-visual-changelog-rev-783000/

An Early Look At KDE 4.1

,----[ Quote ]
| The first alpha release of KDE 4.1 isn't planned until the end of April, but
| this past weekend the OpenSuSE team had updated their KDE Four Live spin
| against the latest KDE 4.0.66 snapshot packages. The KDE 4.0.66 development
| packages contain new Kickoff and Plasma features along with much other work
| to the numerous packages that will ultimately make up this first major update
| to KDE 4.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=kde_41_early&num=1

Related: