[News] [SOT] The Music Industry's Middlemen Made Obsolete

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] The Music Industry's Middlemen Made Obsolete
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:15:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Indie labels take e-commerce into their own hands

,----[ Quote ]
| Many other labels' digital stores are directly connected to their online
| physical stores as well, so that users can purchase T-shirts, CDs and MP3s
| all at once. "We are counting on our mail-order customers being our early
| adopters," Rentz said. "Our goal is to make it a real one-stop shop."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6234534.html

Luddites still trying to find revenue sources...

California Internet sales tax bill faces long odds

,----[ Quote ]
| A California bill that could lead to a tax on Internet music downloads faces
| slim odds of success, but the Democrat who wrote it says a debate over taxing
| such online retail transactions is overdue.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6234520.html

Related:

Why popstars are going it alone

,----[ Quote ]
| Music industry lobby groups have long been among the most vocal advocates of
| copyright reform, urging governments worldwide to prioritise intellectual
| property protection.
|
| [...]
|
| Last week, Radiohead released its latest CD without copy-controls on its
| website under a pay-as-you like system (Canada's Issa - formerly known as
| Jane Siberry - has successfully employed a similar approach for many years).
|
| The Radiohead announcement has unleashed a stunning series of follow-up
| moves - reports indicate that Nine Inch Nails, Oasis, Jamiroquai, the
| Charlatans, and Madonna have either left or are ready to leave their record
| labels in search of greater commercial success through live performances,
| merchandise sales, and other online innovation that may include free
| distribution of their music.

Strike hiatus prompts Hollywood writers to go it alone

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget Warner Brothers, Universal and Disney. Say goodnight and good luck to
| CBS, NBC and Fox. The Hollywood studio model is about to be turned upside
| down.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2232935,00.html

Maine law students vs the RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most important, but as yet largely unrecognized, Big Music stories
| to break this year centres on a small university legal clinic in Maine.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14477

New Contested Case in Phoenix, Arizona, Capitol v. Weed; Counterclaims Asserted
for Abuse of Process, Prima Facie Tort, Conspiracy, and others

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently the defendant was representing herself for awhile, but is now
| represented by two Tucson, Arizona, firms, Williamson & Young and Karp
| Heurlin Weiss, who have filed an amended answer with counterclaims for:
|
| -declaratory judgment of non-infringement
| -abuse of process
| -civil conspiracy to use illegal investigators, commit extortion, and gain
|  unauthorized access to a computer
| -prima facie tort
| -copyright misuse
| -invasion of privacy
| -copyright abuse and forfeiture
| -deceptive trade and collection practices
| -declaratory judgment.
`----

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-contested-case-in-tucson-arizona.html

Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of popular rock group Radiohead's new album next week is the
| latest wake-up call for a music industry still struggling to deal with the
| advent of digital music, experts say.
`----

http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-bets-on-fast-release%2C-open-pricing/2100-1025_3-6212107.html?tag=nefd.top

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]
| After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
| for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
| counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
| dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
| failing to negotiate in good faith.
|
| [...]
|
| Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
| practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
| that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
| RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
| evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
| continue its campaign.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070913-defendant-riaa-abusing-courts-to-shore-up-failing-business-model.html

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/0810_riaa_comment/

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
| Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
| and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
| son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10869/mom-sues-universal-music-dmca-abuse

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----
| The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
| CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
| widespread criticism from music retailers.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Business Model Gone Bad: The Music and Movie Edition

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.5thwind.com/?p=58