Re: The Smartest People choose what works best for them.

____/ [H]omer on Sunday 16 March 2008 18:03 : \____

> Jeremy Fisher wrote:
>> Invisible unattributed poster wrote:
>
>>> It clones Unix, it clones the Windows UI, but it never does
>>> anything new.
>
> Like Windows clones the Mac, which cloned Xerox, you mean?
>
>> "it clones the Windows UI"
>
> Actually, it doesn't. The basic paradigms for graphical interfaces are
> well established, and were certainly not established by Windows. There
> is undoubtedly "cloning" going on across the whole industry, but it is
> equally attributable to /all/ parties.
>
> Indeed, there have been almost no genuinely original ideas from /any/
> software platform in decades, but at least some of us try to actually
> /create/ something (however unoriginal) rather than just harvest
> so-called "IP" then falsely claim "innovation" and "rights", like
> Microsoft does:
>
> "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39286351,00.htm
>
>> Listen very carfully Linux is not WINDOWS!, Linux is not trying to be
>> Windows, Linux is not the same as Windows.
>
> Thank God. Although it /would/ be if certain people had their way (de
> Icaza). More to the point, people invariably use Linux to get /away/
> from Windows. What exactly would be the point of that, if Linux was just
> a "Windows clone"? Our troll friend seems to have missed that.

Yesterday, in BN.com, someone brought it to my attention that Novell has the
ability to change Mono licensing... long story short... projects that are
based on Mono can have their ownership bent. This had me worried because of
seniors who predict that Microsoft might acquire Novell as its value declines
(which it already does).

Guess who produly wrote an article about Mono last night (promoting
MonoDevelop)? Maureen O'Gara, the woman who loves SCO and does crusades.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
 04:05:01 up 52 days, 13:59,  4 users,  load average: 1.18, 1.25, 1.25