[News] Good Expriences with the Long-term Support Alpha Release of Ubuntu Linux

  • Subject: [News] Good Expriences with the Long-term Support Alpha Release of Ubuntu Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:12:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hardy Alpha 6 thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| I have recently upgraded to hardy alpha 6 and so far am very very pleased.
| One thing I wanted to point out was hard comes with the latest Compiz Fusion
| and so far it is much stabler and smoother for me then the previous version.
`----

http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com/2008/03/hardy-alpha-6-thoughts.html

Nice new way of sharing Linux:

Sticky open source marketing

,----[ Quote ]
| Now you go to a non-tech trade show, the kind your prospects live at. You buy
| a booth. You talk to people. At the end of your conversation, instead of
| saying “go to the Web site,” you hand them a stick.
|
| Get their card first. Make sure you note on the back that they got a stick.
| Then call a week or so later. See if the stick was used. See if they have any
| questions. Don’t make a sales pitch, make a use pitch.
|
| My guess is this will open up a lot of large accounts that have, until now,
| resisted open source. Find a decision maker, give him the stick, follow up,
| and don’t ask for the order until they’re already a satisfied user.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2121

Related:

Survey Says … Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing we can say about the Linux desktop in 2007 is that there are
| more users than ever. The Linux Foundation 2006 survey had fewer than 10,000
| people signing in. This year more than 20,000 Linux desktop users reported
| in.

| Okay, now lets tie this all back in together. Novell claimed several months
| back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
| 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
| some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
| 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
| Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
| was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/desktop-os-vista-vs-linux.html

Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
| a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
| Linux distribution of choice.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19940,p,0.html

Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

,----[ Quote ]
| DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
| has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
| in the past year.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/013576.html

Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2220549,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594