Re: [News] Sun Joins the Open Group; Advice Given for Shooting Down OOXML

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> Sun Microsystems Joins Other Industry Leaders as Platinum Member of
> The Open Group
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The Open Group, a vendor- and technology-neutral consortium focused
>| on open standards and global interoperability within and between
>| enterprises, today announced that Sun Microsystems...
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080313/aqth053.html?.v=43
>
> DIS 29500/OOXML - What you can do
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| I was at the OOXML BRM in Geneva on behalf of my national body.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| If you have strong feelings about the procedures used in the voting
>| (e.g. the O members vs P members debate, or the voting on issues that
>| were not individually discussed):
>|
>|     * Contact your national body
>|     * Describe your concerns (with reference to the appropriate
>|     directives,
>|       if possible)
>|     * Allegations of corruption are unlikely to convince anyone of
>|     anything * Ask your national body to investigate, and to raise an
>|     objection to the process if they are not satisfied
>|
>| I suspect that most national bodies will prefer communication via
>| email -  it's easier for the NB to distribute it to any relevant
>| committee members. But some people feel that emails are cheap and
>| easy, and sending a letter on paper carries more weight: if you
>| agree, then just be aware that there isn't very much time before the
>| decision on voting is due.
> `----
>
> http://surguy.net/articles/ooxml-brm.xml
>

> Related:
>
> Danish Unix User Group Files Complaint With EU Commission Against
> Denmark For Mandating MSOOXML
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The Danish Unix User Group, DKUUG, has filed a formal complaint with
>| the EU Commission regarding Denmark's mandating ECMA 376, better
>| known by us as MSOOXML, for certain procurements.
>|
>| The complaint [PDF] is grounded in breach of the EC Treaty article 81
>| on unfair competition. The press release says that the regulation
>| "can be seen as an attempt to continue the de facto monopoly of
>| Microsoft in the Danish state on office software, as the various
>| public agencies and institutions need to buy the products of
>| Microsoft to comply to the regulation."
> `----
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080226164131724
>

> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Re: In Denmark, Microsoft has 2 out of 4 votes
>|
>| InzpektorInzpektor 18 Feb 2008, 15:20 BST
>|
>| The Danish delegation for the BRM will consist of:
>|
>|     * IBM
>|     * Dansk Standard (the national standards body)
>|     * Microsoft - Themselves!
>|     * Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Ciber A/S
>|
>| So, I guess that means that the Danish votes are a tie. (Ofcourse
>| with the national standards body being the joker here :-) )
>|
>| Reference:
>| http://www.ds.dk/3537 (In Danish)

I thought I had commented on this one before, but I'd gladly do it again.
The companies participating at the BRM was approved by the Danish
Committee by a unanimous approval. You can see the list of participating
organisations here: http://www.ds.dk/3537

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
http://idippedut.dk