Re: Asus EEE unloading USB devices

____/ Johnny Borborigmi on Thursday 13 March 2008 23:19 : \____

> On 2008-03-13 03:46:52 -0400, Matty F <mattyf9265@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
>> A friend has now bought an ASUS EEE which is running Linux. Don't ask
>> what kind of Linux, we have no idea - it's the one that comes pre-
>> installed on an Asus EEE. So I'd really like some advice from an Asus
>> user.
>> The Asus EEE seems quite usable for ex Windows users.
>>
>> The only problem is that when a thumb drive needs to be unplugged, I
>> can't see any way of "unloading" the device first.
>> As you may know, Windows has an icon on the taskbar for that purpose
>> which works very well. On a different Asus machine I once found such
>> an icon which I used to unload the device, and it said that I was now
>> free to unplug the thumb drive. However it kept moaning that the thumb
>> drive  was still attached after it was removed, even after rebooting
>> many times.
>> Is this a known bug on the Asus?
>>
>> I don't think that it should be necessary to get to a command line to
>> type cryptic commands for an operation such as removing a thumb drive.
>>
>> P.S. I call it a Thumb Drive because Google finds millions of
>> irrelevant pages for Flash Drive.
>

> Simple, right click on the icon of the device in the task bar, choose
> unmount or remove device.
> Simple right?

I think the issue described in the OP is different though. Whether it's
consistent or not, who knows? It's worth checking this with different US
devices to ensure the Eee is to blame, not the device.

>From the OP:
                                                 ^^^^^

Mattyf, have you considered tying Linux on your PC? The operating system you
are using could easily be replaced by something newer on the same hardware.

Hope it helps.

"Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."

                                        --Philippe Kahn