Re: [News] [Rival] Dangers of Proprietary Software Illustrated, Microsoft's ActiveX Strikes Again

____/ [H]omer on Friday 14 March 2008 17:44 : \____

> Jim Relsh wrote:
>
>> In a word: you can only trust open-source software!!
>
> Scary!
>
> I wonder how much of the Windows OS itself exhibits similar behaviour?
>
> http://slated.org/vista_is_worlds_most_expensive_spyware

There is hardly a need to wonder.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

Microsoft Giving Away Vista and More for Information

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gamingshogun.com/Default.aspx?a=558

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista--Microsoft’s latest operating system--may prove to be most
| appropriately named, especially for those seeking evidence of how a
| computer was used.
`----

http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/jy13tkjasn.html

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

New software can identify you from your online habits

,----[ Quote ]
| That is the spectre raised by new research conducted by Microsoft.
| The computing giant is developing software that could accurately
| guess your name, age, gender and potentially even your location,
| by analysing telltale patterns in your web browsing history. But
| experts say the idea is a clear threat to privacy - and may be
| illegal in some places.
`----

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=mg19426046.400&feedId=being-human_rss20
http://tinyurl.com/2lrazk

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
 00:00:01 up 50 days,  9:54,  4 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.97, 1.18