Re: [News] Google's Linux-based Android Seen as Major Part of the Future

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 14 March 2008 14:11 : \____

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206903247&subSection=News

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=2E30A0C6-6999-4254-BC9B-8283793D0F4C

http://www.clubsonyericsson.com/en/03/03/2007/sony-ericsson-offers-uiq-shares-analyst-suggests-to-open-source-instead/
>> http://tinyurl.com/2jfyw3
>>

> I for one would hope Symbian goes open-source and that
> its relevant drivers be incorporated into Linux somehow.
> It does seem to have a lot of IP relating to phones.
>
> Admittedly I don't know how hard it would be to port Symbian
> apps to Linux (given those drivers).

Some time ago, Nokia made it easier to port Linux apps (Maemo included, IIRC)
to S60. I can't recall if they provided some SDK for this, but hopefully they
can provide a 'translation' tool that works the other way around. Palm's new
OS will run both Linux apps and legacy PalmOS apps, which even Nokia's Maemo
can now run. There are about 30,000 PalmOS appplications.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"
Tasks: 161 total,   1 running, 160 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie