Re: [News] Microsoft OOXML: Fail

Mark Kent wrote:

> GM is a waste of time and effort, as well as risking the rapid
> evolution of "super pests", as has already been demonstrated.

Much like the overuse of antibiotics has bred so-called superbugs, and
the overuse of purification chemicals in water treatment has caused an
entire generation of MCS (a.k.a. 20th Century Syndrome) victims, which
is basically chronic allergy to practically everything. Of course, the
crap they put into food doesn't help either (corn syrup in everything,
the aforementioned Grotesquely Mutated® crops, herbicides, fungicides,
pesticides, emulsifying agent, Modified Atmosphere Packaging, bacteria
inhibitors, and enough chemicals to kill the entire world's population
of junkies.

> Interestingly, that little bit of news appears to have been ignored
> by most, I think I read it in the FT a few days ago.  The
> creationists should be worried, as it's a rather good example of Mr
> Darwin's theory in action.

If overzealous scientists (with the eager endorsement of politicians)
keep interfering with human development, then our next evolutionary
metamorphosis will likely be rather atrophied; emaciated; anaemic; and
permanently confined to oxygen tents ... somewhat like wilted orchids in
a greenhouse, only less useful.

I don't suppose those scientists ever considered the possibility of
simply allowing our immune systems to deal with infection, and the
process of natural selection to maintain the world's population at a
manageable level - thus precluding the need for ever-more intensive
farming techniques to begin with.

No ... better by far to have a vast population of mutants, than a
smaller population of naturally healthy people. Well, that's what you
get for playing God, I suppose.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 20:28:02 up 83 days, 18:03,  5 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.40, 0.36