[News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

You only know good when you've seen bad...

,----[ Quote ]
| Paula is not an unintelligent woman. She holds a PhD. in her field and a
| famous publication relevant to her profession recently published a paper of
| hers. No, Paula isn't stupid by any measure. Maybe you can help me with the
| descriptors here.
|
| [...]
|
| Sbe was desperate to have us fix her existing Windows machine. She stated
| that she had so many viruses on it that it would rarely boot but when it did,
| it was almost useless. I explained to her that "We don't do Windows" and gave
| her a brief explanation of what we did and how she could benefit.
|
| No sale...she thanked us and hung up.
|
| Then called back two days later.
|
| She wasn't kidding about the viruses. ClamAV reported 163 viruses active and
| we lost count of spyware applications somewhere around 400. It was truly a
| sight to behold. I have never seen viruses fight each other for dominance. I
| booted the live cd while she sat next to me and for 20 minutes, I showed her
| how Linux worked. When I thought she was comfortable with it, I let her have
| the chair.
`----

http://wearenixed.blogspot.com/2008/03/you-only-know-good-when-youve-seen-bad.html

Related:

In zombies we trust

,----[ Quote ]
| A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
| style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
| were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
| months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
| months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
| 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
| counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

Over 50% of corporate desktops infected with malware: IronPort

,----[ Quote ]
| The report also reveals that more than 50% of corporate desktops
| worldwide are infected with some type of spyware with the rate of
| infection as high as 70% in the United States. Trojans or malicious
| system monitors represented over 7% of the infections. Rootkits and
| trick loaders, which reinstall spyware and other obfuscation techniques,
| make remediation very difficult thus prevention is the key to stopping
| these threats.
`----

http://www.crn-india.com/breakingnews/stories/66870.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/