Re: [News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 18:48 : \____

>> ?Net neutrality? debate heats up in Canada
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Last week the Canadian public media service, CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting
>>| Corporation) became the first major North American broadcaster to
>>| distribute a DRM-free download of a primetime television show via
>>| BitTorrent. The download was not only DRM free, it didn?t contain any
>>| commercials or license based copy restrictions. In fact the CBC website
>>| proclaimed ?You are free to download, share and burn this video?. This is
>>| how I like my media served.
>> `----
>>
>> http://ostatic.com/158758-blog/net-neutrality-debate-heats-up-in-canada
>
> Excellent, someone is finally taking a moral stand!  Let's see more of
> this.
>

>> Beleaguered BitTorrent search engine shuts down
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| TorrentSpy has spent the past two years and hundreds of thousands of
>>| dollars "defending the rights of our users and ourselves" in a legal
>>| climate that was "hostile" to torrent files, according to the note, which
>>| is attributed to the TorrentSpy team.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1205693246&rid=-50
>>

> One has to wonder if it should really be legal for rich interests to
> harrass smaller ones into submission.

The problem here is the generalisation. And it's just the beginning. It's a
tipping point for abuse and control (precedence in a sense).

"If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good."
                --Bill Gates, Microsoft
 05:05:01 up 10 days, 16:14,  5 users,  load average: 1.29, 1.66, 1.57