[News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium

  • Subject: [News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:41:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
“Net neutrality” debate heats up in Canada

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week the Canadian public media service, CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting
| Corporation) became the first major North American broadcaster to distribute
| a DRM-free download of a primetime television show via BitTorrent. The
| download was not only DRM free, it didn’t contain any commercials or license
| based copy restrictions. In fact the CBC website proclaimed “You are free to
| download, share and burn this video”. This is how I like my media served.
`----

http://ostatic.com/158758-blog/net-neutrality-debate-heats-up-in-canada

Beleaguered BitTorrent search engine shuts down

,----[ Quote ]
| TorrentSpy has spent the past two years and hundreds of thousands of
| dollars "defending the rights of our users and ourselves" in a legal climate
| that was "hostile" to torrent files, according to the note, which is
| attributed to the TorrentSpy team.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1205693246&rid=-50

Yesterday:

BitTorrent president: Comcast agreement is a 'win'

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're not going to be the ones who hire lobbyists, we'll leave that to the
| ones at Google and Microsoft," Navin said.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9905096-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
| acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
| use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
| are being told nothing about how the network technology works,
`----

http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comcast-isnt-net-neutral-are-they-liars-too/

Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
| compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
| Profile, Research) known as Google Apps.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1361814420071114?rpc=44

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/