[News] Adobe's Software Already Becoming Web-based (GNU/Linux-compatible)

  • Subject: [News] Adobe's Software Already Becoming Web-based (GNU/Linux-compatible)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:48:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Adobe opens shop on Web-based Photoshop Express

,----[ Quote ]
| News of an online version of Photoshop first came to light last year when
| Adobe's then-CEO Bruce Chizen told CNET News.com that the product would be
| available within six months.
|
| [...]
|
| Adobe also plans to build an offline client using AIR (the Adobe Integrated
| Runtime) so that people can edit photos offline, executives said.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9903446-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

They don't do it with Web standards though. There's always something better
anyway...

Why GIMP is Better than Adobe Photoshop

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. GIMP has a simple and easy to use Graphical User Interface compared to a
| more cluttered working environment in Photoshop.
|
| 2. GIMP has a way lighter footprint than Photoshop. You don’t need plenty of
| disk space to install GIMP. The size of Gimp’s installer is less than 20MB;
| Photoshop could be around 600MB.
|
| [...]
|
| 7. GIMP's open development model means that it is much more readily available
| on more operating systems, plugin development is not limited by developers
| and as such has no need to compete with Photoshop; by comparison, access to
| Adobe Photoshop's SDK requires authorization.
|
| 8. GIMP is available at no cost compared to Photoshop’s hefty price tag.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/03/why-gimp-is-better-than-adobe-photoshop.html

Related to this:

Top 10 Linux FUD Patterns, Part 6

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux FUD Pattern #6: Linux is low-quality software
|
| [...]
|
| The quality of a product is most often measured as the extent to which the
| product meets the needs of its users. This means that the end product must be
| compared to the requirements defined by the users, often traceable via some
| sort of design documentation.
`----

http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/top-10-linux-fud-patterns-part-6/

Related:

Adobe sees full shift to Web in next decade

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe Systems is working to deliver all of its software via the Web as a
| service rather than a packaged product, but the transition to earn money from
| subscriptions or advertising could take a decade...
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21359751/

On AIR: Getting ready for primetime

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you still intending on a Linux release after the 1.0 release?
|
| Absolutely, the reason why the Linux version was delayed is because the Linux
| version of the Flash Player was delayed a little bit. So really the Flash
| Player is kind of the core of AIR and AIR is dependant on what it can do.
|
| So now that the Linux version of the player is out we've actually started
| development on the Linux version of AIR. I don't think that we have a release
| date for that but it's something that we're really excited about and we're
| going to bring as soon as we can after the 1.0 release.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/program/flash/soa/Ryan-Stewart-Rich-Internet-Evangelist-talks-about-AIR/0,339028413,339283175,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/3cuqhh

Web designing with Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| As a freelance web designer, I really thought migrating to Ubuntu Linux will
| give me a really hard time. I never thought that Ubuntu Linux has a very good
| graphic design tool that can do what I am doing with Photoshop. Although Gimp
| is still way too different with Photoshop, I still see Gimp as a very
| powerful tool in graphic and web designing. It also possess features that
| Photoshop has.
`----

http://pinoy-blog.isoftinno.com/2007/10/23/web-designing-with-ubuntu/

Significant progress in Colour Mixing in Krita.

,----[ Quote ]
| Emanuele Tamponi introduces the innovative work recently committed to Krita,
| covering paint mixing...
`----

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-08-12/

Adobe Photoshop: Online Edition