[News] Linux Runs on Heaps of New Devices, Architectures

  • Subject: [News] Linux Runs on Heaps of New Devices, Architectures
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:43:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux gains new architecture support

,----[ Quote ]
| Dozens of network-attached storage (NAS) servers and other consumer
| appliances are about to gain mainline kernel and Debian GNU/Linux support.
| The 2.6.25 kernel, currently in the final stages of testing, will support
| Marvell's Feroceon micro-architecture and "Orion" SoCs, with Debian support
| close behind, sources say.
|
| Yesterday, Linus Torvalds launched release candidate 7 (rc7) for the 2.6.25
| kernel, commenting, "Give it a good testing, because we're hopefully now well
| on our way towards that eventual real 2.6.25 release!" The comment suggests
| the newest kernel could well launch this week.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS5637467946.html

All About Linux 2008: Five cool devices running embedded Linux that you aren’t
using

,----[ Quote ]
| As previously mentioned in this week’s Orientation, Linux is not limited to
| just desktops. It’s far reaching, actually. Not that you’d have a Terminal
| app on it or anything, but you could. Some of you may have a mobile phone
| running Linux and you probably don’t even know it. The most popular phone in
| the world runs Unix. That’s right. The iPhone, my arch nemesis, runs on Unix.
| Are there any other cool mobile devices out there running on Linux or Unix?
| Of course there are. Enter, dear friends, and be amazed.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/03/26/all-about-linux-2008-five-cool-devices-running-embedded-linux-that-you-arent-using/

Related:

Linux contributor base broadens

,----[ Quote ]
| With more companies funding Linux work, the core hackers now delegate
| 70% of the coding
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/062807-linux-contributor-base.html

Linux guru offers sneak peek at Kernel Report

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;870609546;fp;4;fpid;1968336438