Re: [News] Oracle Sets Focus on GNU/Linux Clusters

____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 26 March 2008 17:35 : \____

>> ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 26 March 2008 16:29 : \____
>>

>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Certainly Oracle is not setting its FOCUS on linux clusters. Being a
>>> RDBMS
>>> system their focus is going to remain on databases.
>>
>> I thought twice before typing that down for this very same reason.
>> Clearly,
>> they put a little more focus on this than they did before... and it seems
>> like
>> they pull a Sun/MySQL on Red Hat here.
>
> I think that Oracle will "focus" on Linux to the extent that it helps them
> sell Oracle licenses. Perhaps one day it will generate a nice extra revenue
> stream for them in support and services in the same way that Redhat makes
> their profit. BTW - I think that Redhat is due to report their earnings soon
> which might be interesting to see their progress. Oracle may make some
> strategic moves now that Sun has MySQL so it will be fun to watch how that
> all plays out.

Red Hat was upgraded some hours ago. Target: $25, _despite the recession_. The
greater danger at the moment seems to be software patents that Microsoft tries
to contaminate the rest of world with, in order to extract money from Red Hat
et al. OOXML is another issue, but I'm beginning to think that it's a 'good'
thing because Microsoft has done itself a COLOSSAL PR DAMAGE for something
that matters very little in practise (ISO rubber stamp). I hope they continue
to show their true colours because the heavy fines are on their way and the
more evidence, the better. In many countries, 'ammunition' is available to
criticise Microsoft's role /against/ the country, for future reference.

The Microsoft brand sank like 40 places, from about 10th. It's hardly a
surprise. Red Hat is #1 in various surveys (context being
computing/procurement). Red Hat's other threats are 'forks' like Oracle (can
you trust Oracle when they say they wouldn't do it really?), in which case the
revenue changes hands.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung
         run-level 2  2008-03-19 11:51                   last=